The latest list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards was published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) on 11 April 2014. These Harmonised standards provide a presumption of conformity with the essential health and safety requirements (EHSRs) of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC. This latest complete list can be downloaded from the European Commission website (2.4MB PDF). The new list of standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive supersedes all previous versions. As with the previous list published in November 2013, the current list divides the standards into A-type standards, B-type standards (but not B1 and B2 types) and C-type standards, with an explanation provided for each type.
+++ STOP PRESS See also Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards, 11 July 2014 +++
The information below has been extracted with care from the official list, but it remains the reader's responsibility to check the OJ list via the link above, and also to check the Machinery Directive page on the European Commission website for any newer lists.
New and updated harmonised standards and amendments published in the list for the first time are as below.
Changes to A-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
There are no new or amended A-Type standards but note that these three standards, all of which were superseded by EN ISO 12100:2010 Safety of machinery - General principles for design - Risk assessment and risk reduction (ISO 12100:2010), expired on 30 November 2013 and no longer give a presumption of conformity with the relevant Machinery Directive EHSRs: EN ISO 12100-1:2003; EN ISO 12100-2:2003; and EN ISO 14121-1:2007.
Changes to B-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN ISO 14119:2013 Safety of machinery — Interlocking devices associated with guards - Principles for design and selection (ISO 14119:2013), which supersedes EN 1088:1995+A2:2008 on 30 April 2015
Changes to C-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN 1012-3:2013 Compressors and vacuum pumps - Safety requirements - Part 3: Process compressors
- EN 1870-11:2013 Safety of woodworking machines - Circular sawing machines - Part 11: Semi automatic horizontal cross-cut sawing machines with one saw unit (radial arm saws), which supersedes EN 1870-11:2003+A1:2009 on 30 April 2014
- EN 1870-12:2013 Safety of woodworking machines - Circular sawing machines - Part 12: Pendulum cross-cut sawing machines, which supersedes EN 1870-12:2003+A1:2009 on 30 April 2014
- EN 1870-19:2013 Safety of woodworking machines - Circular sawing machines - Part 19: Circular saw benches (with and without sliding table) and building site saws, which supersedes EN 1870-1:2007+A1:2009 on 31 May 2014
- EN 12622:2009+A1:2013 Safety of machine tools - Hydraulic press brakes, which supersedes EN 12622:2009 on 30 April 2014
- EN 15503:2009+A1:2013 Garden equipment - Garden blowers, vacuums and blower/vacuums - Safety, which supersedes EN 15503:2009 on 30 April 2014
- EN 50569:2013 Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Particular requirements for commercial electric spin extractors
- EN 50570:2013 Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Particular requirements for commercial electric tumble dryers
- EN 50571:2013 Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Particular requirements for commercial electric washing machines
- EN 60204-31:2013 Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of machines - Part 31: Particular safety and EMC requirements for sewing machines, units and systems (IEC 60204-31:2013)
- EN 60947-5-3:2013 Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear - Part 5-3: Control circuit devices and switching elements - Requirements for proximity devices with defined behaviour under fault conditions (PDDB) (IEC 60947-5-3:2013)
- EN 61496-1:2013 Safety of machinery - Electro-sensitive protective equipment - Part 1: General requirements and tests (IEC 61496-1:2012), which supersedes EN 61496-1:2004 and its amendments on 10 May 2015
Previous changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards
Since 2011 MachineBuilding.net has analysed each new list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) and summarised the changes and additions. These previous changes to the Harmonised Standards can be seen by following this link:
Future changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards:
To keep up to date with further developments regarding Harmonised Standards for the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, subscribe to our free email newsletter. You may also like to request a copy of the FREE MachineBuilding.net Guide to the New Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.