The latest list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards was published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) on 9 June 2017 (reference 2017/C 183/02). These Harmonised standards provide a presumption of conformity with the essential health and safety requirements (EHSRs) of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC (see below for definitions of Harmonised Standard and Machinery Directive). This new complete list of standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive can be downloaded from the European Commission website (2MB PDF, English language) and it supersedes all previous versions. The standards are categorised as A-type standards, B-type standards (but not B1 and B2 types) and C-type standards, with an explanation provided for each type.
Although the latest list contains only a relatively small number of new, updated and amended standards, there are some important changes and it should be noted that the dates of supersession of a presumption of conformity for the standards being replaced are, in some cases, very soon or the old standard has already been replaced.
The information below has been extracted with care from the official list, but it remains the reader's responsibility to check the OJ list via the link above, and also to check the Machinery Directive (MD) page on the European Commission website for any newer lists.
New and updated harmonised standards and amendments published in the list for the first time are as below.
Standards developed by CEN
There are no new or amended A-Type standards developed by CEN.
Changes to B-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN ISO 10326-1:2016 Mechanical vibration - Laboratory method for evaluating vehicle seat vibration - Part 1: Basic requirements (10326-1:2016, Corrected version 2017-02), which supersedes EN 30326-1:1994 on 30 November 2017
Changes to C-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN 378-2:2016 Refrigerating systems and heat pumps – Safety and environmental requirements - Part 2: Design, construction, testing, marking and documentation, which supersedes EN 378-2:2008+A2:2012 on 30 November 2017
- EN 609-1:2017 Agricultural and forestry machinery - Safety of log splitters - Part 1: Wedge splitters, which supersedes EN 609-1:1999+A2:2009 on 30 June 2018
- EN 1570-2:2016 Safety requirements for lifting tables - Part 2: Lifting tables serving more than 2 fixed landings of a building, for lifting goods with a vertical travel speed not exceeding 0,15 m/s
- EN ISO 5395-2:2013/A1:2016 Garden equipment - Safety requirements for combustion-engine-powered lawnmowers - Part 2: Pedestrian-controlled lawnmowers (ISO 5395-2:2013), 1st amendment, which supersedes the unamended standard on 30 June 2017
- EN ISO 5395-3:2013/A1:2017 Garden equipment - Safety requirements for combustion-engine-powered lawnmowers - Part 3: Ride-on lawnmowers with seated operator (ISO 5395-3:2013), 1st amendment, which supersedes the unamended standard on 31 August 2017
- EN ISO 11111-1:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 1: Common requirements (ISO 11111-1:2016), which is effective from 30 November 2017
- EN ISO 11111-2:2005/A2:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 2: Spinning preparatory and spinning machines (ISO 11111-2:2005), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard with immediate effect
- EN ISO 11111-3:2005/A2:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 3: Nonwoven machinery (ISO 11111-3:2005), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard with immediate effect
- EN ISO 11111-4:2005/A2:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 4: Yarn processing, cordage and rope manufacturing machinery (ISO 11111-4:2005), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard with immediate effect
- EN ISO 11111-5:2005/A2:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 5: Preparatory machinery to weaving and knitting (ISO 11111-5:2005), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard with immediate effect
- EN ISO 11111-6:2005/A2:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 6: Fabric manufacturing machinery (ISO 11111-6:2005), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard with immediate effect
- EN ISO 11111-7:2005/A2:2016 Textile machinery - Safety requirements - Part 7: Dyeing and finishing machinery (ISO 11111-7:2005), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard with immediate effect
- EN 12312-3:2017 Aircraft ground support equipment – Specific requirements - Part 3: Conveyor belt vehicles, which supersedes EN 12312-3:2003+A1:2009 on 31 July 2017
- EN 12312-6:2017 Aircraft ground support equipment – Specific requirements - Part 6: Deicers and de-icing/antiicing equipment, which supersedes EN 12312-6:2004+A1:2009 on 30 September 2017
- EN 13001-3-5:2016 Cranes - General design - Part 3-5: Limit states and proof of competence of forged hooks
- EN 13204:2016 Double acting hydraulic rescue tools for fire and rescue service use - Safety and performance requirements, which supersedes EN 13204:2004+A1:2012 on 30 November 2017
- EN 13241:2003+A2:2016 Industrial, commercial, garage doors and gates - Product standard, performance characteristics, which supersedes EN 13241-1:2003+A1:2011 on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 15012-4:2016 Health and safety in welding and allied processes - Equipment for capture and separation of welding fume - Part 4: General requirements (ISO 15012-4:2016)
- EN 16851:2017 Cranes - Light crane systems
Standards developed by CENELEC
There are no new or amended A-Type or B-Type standards developed by CENELEC.
Changes to C-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN 60947-5-5:1997/A2:2017 Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear - Part 5-5: Control circuit devices and switching elements - Electrical emergency stop device with mechanical latching function (IEC 60947-5-5:1997/A2:2016), 2nd amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard on 24 February 2020
- EN 62841-2-8:2016 Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery - Safety - Part 2-8: Particular requirements for hand-held shears and nibblers (IEC 62841-2-8:2016 (Modified)), which supersedes EN 60745-2-8:2009 on 2 May 2020
Previous changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards
Since 2011 MachineBuilding.net has analysed each new list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) and summarised the additions and changes. These previous analyses of the Harmonised Standards can be seen by following this link:
Definition of Harmonised Standard
A Harmonised Standard is a European Standard that has been developed by one of the European Standards Organisations (ESOs) - ie CEN, CENELEC or ETSI - in response to a 'standardisation mandate' issued by the European Commission. Harmonised Standards support European legislation in helping the implementation of the European Commission directives, particularly the New Approach directives. Lists of Harmonised Standards supporting EU Directives and Regulations are available on the European Commission website. It is not obligatory to comply with Harmonised Standards, but doing so provides a presumption of conformity with the essential requirements of the relevant directive.
A Transposed Harmonised Standard is a national standard of an EU Member State that transposes a Harmonised Standard; for example, if EN ISO 12100:2010 is the Harmonised Standard, BS EN ISO 12100:2010 is the Transposed Harmonised Standard published by BSI (ie the British Standard).
Definition of Machinery Directive
The Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC is the European legislative act that provides the regulatory basis for the harmonisation of the essential health and safety requirements (EHSRs) for machinery at European Union level. As well as promoting the free movement of machinery within the Single Market, the Machinery Directive also guarantees a high level of protection to EU workers and citizens. Member States are obliged to adapt their laws to meet the goals of the Directive; in the UK the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC and the amending directive 2009/127/EC are implemented with Statutory Instruments 2008/1597 The Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 and 2011/2157 The Supply of Machinery (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 2011.
Future changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards
To keep up to date with further developments in Harmonised Standards for the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, subscribe to our free email newsletter. You may also find the free MachineBuilding.net Guide to the New Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC useful.