The latest list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards was published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) on 9 March 2018 (reference 2018/C 092/01). These Harmonised standards provide a presumption of conformity with the essential health and safety requirements (EHSRs) of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC (see below for definitions of Harmonised Standard and Machinery Directive). This new complete list of standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive can be downloaded from the European Commission website (2.1MB PDF, English language) and it supersedes all previous versions. The standards are categorised as A-type standards, B-type standards (but not B1 and B2 types) and C-type standards, with an explanation provided for each type.
Although the latest list contains only a relatively small number of new, updated and amended standards, there are some important changes and it should be noted that the dates of supersession of a presumption of conformity for the standards being replaced are, in some cases, very soon.
The information below has been extracted with care from the official list, but it remains the reader's responsibility to check the OJ list via the link above, and also to check the Machinery Directive (MD) page on the European Commission website for any newer lists.
New and updated harmonised standards and amendments published in the list for the first time are as below.
Standards developed by CEN
There are no new or amended A-Type standards developed by CEN.
Changes to B-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN ISO 3745:2012/A1:2017 Acoustics - Determination of sound power levels and sound energy levels of noise sources using sound pressure - Precision methods for anechoic rooms and hemi-anechoic rooms (ISO 3745:2012), first amendment, which supersedes the unamended standard on 30 June 2018
Changes to C-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN 115-1:2017 Safety of escalators and moving walks - Part 1: Construction and installation, which supersedes EN 115-1:2008+A1:2010 on 31 January 2019
- EN 1459-1:2017 Rough-terrain trucks - Safety requirements and verification - Part 1: Variable-reach trucks, which supersedes EN 1459:1998+A3:2012 on 30 September 2018
- EN ISO 4254-12:2012/A1:2017 Agricultural machinery - Safety - Part 12: Rotary disc and drum mowers and flail mowers (ISO 4254-12:2012), first amendment, which supersedes the unamended standard on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 5395-2:2013/A2:2017 Garden equipment - Safety requirements for combustion-engine-powered lawnmowers - Part 2: Pedestrian-controlled lawnmowers (ISO 5395-2:2013), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 11554:2017 Optics and photonics - Lasers and laser-related equipment - Test methods for laser beam power, energy and temporal characteristics (ISO 11554:2017), which supersedes EN ISO 11554:2008 on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 11681-2:2011/A1:2017 Machinery for forestry - Portable chain-saw safety requirements and testing - Part 2: Chain-saws for tree service (ISO 11681-2:2011), first amendment, which supersedes the unamended standard on 30 June 2018
- EN 12312-12:2017 Aircraft ground support equipment - Specific requirements - Part 12: Potable water service equipment, which supersedes EN 12312-12:2002+A1:2009 on 30 June 2018
- EN 12312-13:2017 Aircraft ground support equipment - Specific requirements - Part 13: Lavatory service equipment, which supersedes EN 12312-13:2002+A1:2009 on 30 June 2018
- EN 14033-3:2017 Railway applications - Track - Railbound construction and maintenance machines - Part 3: General safety requirements, which supersedes EN 14033-3:2009+A1:2011 on 30 June 2018
- EN 15695-1:2017 Agricultural tractors and self-propelled sprayers - Protection of the operator (driver) against hazardous substances - Part 1: Cab classification, requirements and test procedures, which supersedes EN 15695-1:2009 on 30 June 2018
- EN 15695-2:2017 Agricultural tractors and self-propelled sprayers - Protection of the operator (driver) against hazardous substances - Part 2: Filters, requirements and test procedures, which supersedes EN 15695-2:2009 on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 16093:2017 Machine tools - Safety - Sawing machines for cold metal (ISO 16093:2017), which supersedes EN 13898:2003+A1:2009 on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 19085-1:2017 Woodworking machines - Safety - Part 1: Common requirements (ISO 19085-1:2017)
- EN ISO 19085-2:2017 Woodworking machines - Safety - Part 2: Horizontal beam panel circular sawing machines (ISO 19085-2:2017)
- EN ISO 19085-5:2017 Woodworking machines - Safety - Part 5: Dimension saws (ISO 19085-5:2017), which supersedes EN 1870-18:2013 on 30 June 2018
- EN ISO 28927-1:2009/A1:2017 Hand-held portable power tools - Test methods for evaluation of vibration emission - Part 1: Angle and vertical grinders (ISO 28927-1:2009), first amendment, which supersedes the unamended standard on 30 June 2018
Standards developed by CENELEC
There are no new or amended A-Type or B-Type standards developed by CENELEC.
Changes to C-Type standards harmonised to the Machinery Directive
- EN 60335-2-89:2010/A2:2017 Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-89: Particular requirements for commercial refrigerating appliances with an incorporated or remote refrigerant condensing unit or compressor (IEC 60335-2-89:2010/A2:2015 (Modified)), second amendment, which supersedes the previously amended standard on 3 July 2020
- EN 62841-2-10:2017 Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery - Safety - Part 2-10: Particular requirements for hand-held mixers (IEC 62841-2-10:2017 (Modified))
- EN 62841-3-13:2017 Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery - Safety - Part 3-13: Particular requirements for transportable drills (IEC 62841-3-13:2017 (Modified))
Previous changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards
Since 2011 MachineBuilding.net has analysed each new list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) and summarised the additions and changes. These previous analyses of the Harmonised Standards can be seen by following this link:
Definition of Harmonised Standard
A Harmonised Standard is a European Standard that has been developed by one of the European Standards Organisations (ESOs) - ie CEN, CENELEC or ETSI - in response to a 'standardisation mandate' issued by the European Commission. Harmonised Standards support European legislation in helping the implementation of the European Commission directives, particularly the New Approach directives. Lists of Harmonised Standards supporting EU Directives and Regulations are available on the European Commission website. It is not obligatory to comply with Harmonised Standards, but doing so provides a presumption of conformity with the essential requirements of the relevant directive.
A Transposed Harmonised Standard is a national standard of an EU Member State that transposes a Harmonised Standard; for example, if EN ISO 12100:2010 is the Harmonised Standard, BS EN ISO 12100:2010 is the Transposed Harmonised Standard published by BSI (ie the British Standard).
Definition of Machinery Directive
The Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC is the European legislative act that provides the regulatory basis for the harmonisation of the essential health and safety requirements (EHSRs) for machinery at European Union level. As well as promoting the free movement of machinery within the Single Market, the Machinery Directive also guarantees a high level of protection to EU workers and citizens. Member States are obliged to adapt their laws to meet the goals of the Directive; in the UK the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC and the amending directive 2009/127/EC are implemented with Statutory Instruments 2008/1597 The Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 and 2011/2157 The Supply of Machinery (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 2011.
Future changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards
To keep up to date with further developments in Harmonised Standards for the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, subscribe to our free email newsletter. You may also find the free MachineBuilding.net Guide to the New Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC useful.