Avago Technologies is introducing a new series of high-brightness surface mount (SMT) tri-colour light emitting diodes (LEDs) that will enable designers to develop large indoor and outdoor electronic displays that provide sharper and more vivid images and graphics. These new high-brightness RGB LEDs are available in standard PLCC-4 packaging and have been specifically designed to operate in extreme outdoor conditions.
Avago's new ASMT-QTB2 high-brightness AllnGaP and InGaN tri-colour LEDs, which are made from an enhanced silicone resin material, are said to provide high reliability, long life and significantly less colour degradation over time. Moreover, the ASMT-QTB2 series offers a super-wide viewing angle of 120 degrees to improve visibility of large outdoor displays in bright sunlight. Typical applications for the ASMT-QTB2 RGB LEDs include stadium scoreboards, billboards, marquee signs and electronic variable messages signs.
In addition to the high brightness, long life and compact size, Avago's ASMT-QTB2 SMT LEDs also provide two significant advantages in the production environment: they can be easily soldered using conventional surface mount techniques to minimise production costs, and the package is qualified to a Joint Electronic Device Engineering Council (JEDEC) moisture sensitive level (MSL) rating of 2a. For manufacturers, this means that the LEDs can be kept in the open air (30degC, 60 per cent relative humidity) for up to four weeks after being removed from the sealed package without the need to remove absorbed moisture.
The InGaN and AllnGaP technology incorporated in Avago's ASMT-QTB2 LED package offers low thermal resistance, which allows more efficient heat transfer from the package to the motherboard thereby maintaining long-term device reliability. Moreover, it is compatible with standard surface mount technology reflow soldering processes.
- Super-wide viewing angle of 120 degrees
- Black surface RGB PLCC-4 package for higher contrast
- High-reliability LED package incorporates AllnGaP and InGaN dice technologies
- Long life with minimum intensity loss - less than 50 per cent degradation up to 50,000 hours at room temperature 25degC
- Available in 8mm carrier tape on 7inch reel
- Compatible with most IR soldering processes
- Moisture sensitivity: JEDEC MSL 2a
- Low thermal resistance: average Rthjp (Thermal Resistance of Junction to Pin) 75C/W per colour
- Pb-Free and RoHS-compliant
Samples and production quantities are available now through Avago's direct sales channel and worldwide distribution partners.