Yokogawa Electric Corporation has developed an enhanced version of the STARDOM network-based control system and will release it on April 27. This latest version supports Windows 10, and the STARDOM high-speed CPU module comes with a new function that enables Java applications to run on a STARDOM controller. In addition, an oil flow rate calculation function has been added to meet the needs of oil and gas well operations.
With the addition of Windows 10 support and other new functionality, Yokogawa is demonstrating its ongoing commitment to enhancing the STARDOM system to meet the latest needs at its customers’ sites.
STARDOM is a network-based control system whose principal components are the FCN autonomous controller, the VDS web-based HMI, and the FAST/TOOLS SCADA package. Since first releasing STARDOM to the market in 2001, Yokogawa has continued to improve the functions of this system to satisfy its customers’ changing needs. Based on the concept of “Faster, Stronger, Smarter,” Yokogawa most recently released a new CPU module in March 2016.
With this latest release, STARDOM has been enhanced as part of Yokogawa’s continuing effort to meet the evolving needs of its customers, including oil and gas well and pipeline operations. This release includes functionality for the on-site management of data that reduces the amount of communications traffic between central monitoring rooms and facilities distributed over a wide area.
1. Windows 10 support: Support of Windows 10, the latest version of Microsoft’s operating system has been added with this release, ensuring that STARDOM continues to meet Yokogawa customers’ latest needs.
2. Simplified system configuration: A Duolet function that enables Java applications to run on the FCN controller is now embedded in the high-speed CPU module. Thanks to this function, the controller can be used to manage files and transmit data. This simplifies the overall system configuration by eliminating the need for a PC.
3. Function for calculating oil flow rate: In addition to an existing function for calculating the gas flow rate, a function for calculating the oil flow rate, based on American Petroleum Institute (API) guidelines, has been added. This new function makes it possible to quantify the amount of produced water from an oil or gas well, which serves as a KPI for monitoring age-related degradation in performance and assists in efforts to improve recovery efficiency.
STARDOM is an open network control system consisting of components for control, operation, and monitoring functionality, and its combination of the reliability of a DCS and the versatility and economy of a PLC is highly acclaimed. The FCN autonomous controller, the core of STARDOM, is robust and can be easily implemented in a dual redundant configuration. The controller is widely used as an intelligent remote terminal unit (RTU) not only in applications that require high reliability and versatility/economy, such as small- to medium-size plants, but also in oil and gas well (upstream) and pipeline applications.
Major target markets:
- Widely distributed facilities such as oil and gas wells, pipelines, and water and wastewater facilities
- Small- to medium-size oil, chemical, iron and steel, pulp and paper, food, and pharmaceutical process facilities
- Small- to medium-size wind turbines, steam turbines, and hydropower generation facilities
Applications include monitoring, operation, control, data collection, and data storage for small- to medium-size manufacturing facilities.