Newly released MathType 6.8 from Design Science is an interactive equation editor for Windows that lets you create mathematical notation for word processing, web pages, desktop publishing, presentations, elearning and TeX, LaTeX and MathML documents.
Available from Adept Scientific, MathType 6.8 works with over 600 applications and websites including 64-bit Microsoft Office 2010. A major new feature of MathType 6.8 is the ability to paste a table from your spreadsheet, document or web page straight into MathType as a matrix.
MathType 6.8 gives you more ways to create equations:
- Entering maths by hand: Enter equations as easily as you would write maths with paper and pencil. This feature uses the built-in handwriting recognition in Windows 7
- Point-and-click editing with automatic formatting: Create equations quickly by choosing templates from MathType’s palettes and typing into their empty slots. MathType applies mathematical spacing rules automatically as you type
- Keyboard shortcuts: Save time using keyboard shortcuts. MathType has customisable keyboard shortcuts for virtually every symbol
- template and command
- Type TeX or LaTeX: If you already know the TeX typesetting language you can enter equations directly into MathType or Microsoft Word documents. TeX editing can be mixed with point-and-click editing so you get the best of both worlds. You can even paste in equations from existing TeX documents
- Copy-and-paste: If you created your equation in another application or found one on a website, why take the time to create it by hand again? Simply copy-and-paste it directly into MathType and it is ready to edit or use in your work
- Save expressions in the toolbar: Drag frequently used equations and expressions to the MathType toolbar so they can be inserted later with just a click or a keystroke
- Supports Microsoft Office 2010 (both 32- and 64-bit), 2007, 2003 and XP (2002)
- Microsoft Office 2007 & 2010 – MathType Ribbon Tab in Word and PowerPoint: MathType takes full advantage of Office’s Ribbon User Interface, making it easier than ever to do equation operations in documents and presentations. New equation numbering and browse features work with all Word equation types
- Microsoft Office 2003 and XP (2002) – MathType Toolbar and Menu in Word and PowerPoint: MathType adds a toolbar and menu to Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, allowing quick access to its features and powerful commands to do equation numbering
- Find Symbols: MathType’s Insert Symbol dialogue allows you to explore the available symbols and insert them with a click or keystroke
In addition, MathType 6.8 affords more visual control:
- Colour: Use colour to highlight part of an equation and focus your audience’s attention on just the portions you want. Show what changed in each step of a multi-step procedure and make those equations really come to life
- More Fonts: MathType has hundreds more symbols and templates than Equation Editor. Besides the exclusive Euclid maths fonts, you can also make use of the thousands of maths symbols in fonts already on your computer, as well as other maths fonts you can download from the Internet.