Pilz is launching the PSENsgate 2 safety gate system that combines safety gate monitoring (for prevention of unexpected startup), safe guard locking (to prevent access while hazards are present), various control elements, an emergency stop pushbutton (E-stop) and escape release (for personnel who become trapped in the hazardous area) all in one system, up to the highest category PL e as per EN ISO 13849-1 (BS EN ISO 13849-1 in the UK).
The robust, over-dimensioned bolt (or tongue) that forms part of the handle locking mechanism is a hybrid heavy-duty metallic bolt with an associated RFID coded element that communicates with the bistable locking shot-bolt in the switch body; in the unlikely event of the bolt breaking it will be detected and safety is assured to PL e. This also guarantees the highest level of protection against defeat or manipulation, which is becoming an increasingly important topic with the publication of EN ISO 14119.
Furthermore, the bolt can be padlocked in the open position to prevent closure, relocking and restarting of the machine. This feature enables workers to safely enter the machine with their key in the knowledge that the machine will not be unexpectedly restarted by somebody else.
The Pilz PSENsgate 2 is available with a wide range of systems and optional control elements including pushbuttons, key switches, illuminated pushbuttons, section stop, and functions such as emergency stop or escape release. In conjunction with safe control technology, such as the Pilz PNOZmulti configurable control system, the result is a complete, safe and economical system for safety gate monitoring. The two safe outputs of the PSENsgate are OSSDs (cross-checking transistor outputs with test pulses), enabling series connections to be made with many other OSSD-based safety devices such as PSENini (inductive) sensors, PSENcode (RFID coded) guard switches and PSENslock devices (process locks with high-integrity prevention of unexpected startups).
Benefits of the Pilz PSENsgate 2:
- Greater flexibility: Large selection of different control elements, such as key-operated pushbuttons, key switches, section stop or emergency stop, and connection options for enabling switches
- High safety: Just one switch per safety gate for personal and plant protection up to PL e
- Minimal engineering and cost: One product rather than multiple separate components
- Time saving: Reduced installation and wiring effort thanks to a turnkey system with integrated control elements and optional emergency stop
- Simple assembly: Suitable for right- and left-hinged gates, as well as sliding gates
- Suitable for universal use: Mounts easily on all 45mm profiles
- Energy efficiency: Reduced current consumption (maximum power consumption of 2W when the gate is locked) thanks to bistable solenoid technology
Compared with the original PSENsgate that is being replaced by the PSENsgate 2, the new product is is more rugged, consumes less power, is easier to install, and the cover for the emergency release is now hinged instead of being tethered by a short wire. Despite the much-improved specification, the PSENsgate 2 costs no more than its predecessor.
Follow the link for more information about the PSENsgate 2 safety gate system. To request a demonstration or organise a site visit, email David Collier at (please mention MachineBuilding.net).