A list of Harmonised Standards for the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC was published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) on 20 July 2011. This list replaces all previous lists published in the OJ and is available as a PDF (1.37MB). Note that the lists published in the OJ are the only ones having any legal standing; other lists published on the European Commission website are informative only.
+++ STOP PRESS See also Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards, 11 July 2014 +++
All of the standards published for the first time in the 20 July list are Type C standards, relating to specific classes of machinery. They are:
- EN 500-4:2011 Mobile road construction machinery - Safety - Part 4: Specific requirements for compaction machines, which superseded EN 500-4:2006+A1:2009 on 1 August 2011
- EN 1679-1:1998+A1:2011 Reciprocating internal combustion engines - Safety - Part 1: Compression ignition engines
- EN 12463:2004+A1:2011 Food processing machinery - Filling machines and auxiliary machines - Safety and hygiene requirements
- EN 13411-4:2011 Terminations for steel wire ropes - Safety - Part 4: Metal and resin socketing, which supersedes EN 13411-4:2002+A1:2008 on 30 September 2011
- EN 13683:2003+A2:2011 Garden equipment - Integrally powered shredders/chippers - Safety
- EN 13977:2011 Railway applications - Track - Safety requirements for portable machines and trolleys for construction and maintenance
- EN 15011:2011 Cranes - Bridge and gantry cranes
- EN ISO 22868:2011 Forestry and garden machinery - Noise test code for portable hand-held machines with internal combustion engine - Engineering method (Grade 2 accuracy), which supersedes EN ISO 22868:2008 on 30 September 2011
- EN ISO 28927-11:2011 Hand-held portable power tools - Test methods for evaluation of vibration emission - Part 11: Stone hammers
- EN 60745-2-13:2009/A1:2010 Hand-held motor-operated electric tools - Safety Part 2-13: Particular requirements for chain saws; the amended standard supersedes the previous version on 1 December 2013
- EN 60745-2-21:2009/A1:2010 Hand-held motor-operated electric tools - Safety Part 2-21: Particular requirements for drain cleaners; the amended standard supersedes the previous version on 1 December 2013
Note about EN 954-1
EN 954-1 is not included in the current list [see this article EN 954-1 harmonised to Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC - Ed]. However, Marie Poidevin of CEN has previously confirmed to MachineBuilding.net "In case of future omission, you can take for granted that the communication done by the EC in December on EN 954-1 is still valid and will remain valid up to Dec 2011." In the previous list EN 954-1:1996 was mentioned in a note alongside the entry for EN ISO 13849-1:2008 Safety of machinery — Safety-related parts of control systems — Part 1: General principles for design (ISO 13849-1:2006), where the date of supersession of EN 954-1 was given as 31 December 2011. However, in the list published on 20 July there is only a note against the entry for EN ISO 13849-1:2008 that the date of cessation of the presumption of conformity of the superseded standard [EN 954-1] is 31 December 2011.
Future changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards:
To keep up to date with further developments regarding Harmonised Standards for the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, subscribe to our free email newsletter.