A list of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards was published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) on 18 November 2011. These standards provide a presumption of conformity to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC. The list can be downloaded from the European Commission website (1.37MB PDF). This list supersedes all previous lists and has legal standing, unlike the 'informative' lists published on the European Commission website.
+++ STOP PRESS See also Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards, 11 July 2014 +++
New standards published in the list for the first time are as below. Apart from EN 60204-33, which is a Type B1 standard, these are all Type C standards, relating to specific classes of machinery. However, it is worth highlighting EN ISO 10218-1:2011 and EN ISO 10218-2:2011, which relate to the safety of robots and robotic devices.
- EN 267:2009+A1:2011 Automatic forced draught burners for liquid fuels, which supersedes EN 267:2009 on 29 February 2012
- EN 693:2001+A2:2011 Machine tools - Safety - Hydraulic presses, which supersedes EN 693:2001+A1:2009 on 31 March 2012
- EN 836:1997+A4:2011 Garden equipment - Powered lawnmowers - Safety
- EN 1127-1:2011 Explosive atmospheres - Explosion prevention and protection - Part 1: Basic concepts and methodology, which supersedes EN 1127-1:2007 on 31 July 2014
- EN 1501-1:2011 Refuse collection vehicles - General requirements and safety requirements - Part 1: Rear loaded refuse collection vehicles, which supersedes EN 1501-1:1998+A2:2009 on 29 February 2012
- EN 1501-5:2011 Refuse collection vehicles - General requirements and safety requirements - Part 5: Lifting devices for refuse collection vehicles, which supersedes EN 1501-1:1998+A2:2009 on 29 February 2012
- EN 1889-1:2011 Machines for underground mines - Mobile machines working underground - Safety - Part 1: Rubber tyred vehicles
- EN ISO 2867:2011 Earth-moving machinery - Access systems (ISO 2867:2011), which supersedes EN ISO 2867:2008 on 31 July 2014
- EN ISO 10218-1:2011 Robots and robotic devices - Safety requirements for industrial robots - Part 1: Robots (ISO 10218-1:2011), which supersedes EN ISO 10218-1:2008 on 31 January 2012
- EN ISO 10218-2:2011 Robots and robotic devices - Safety requirements for industrial robots - Part 2: Robot systems and integration (ISO 10218-2:2011)
- EN 12649:2008+A1:2011 Concrete compactors and smoothing machines - Safety, which supersedes EN 12649:2008 on 31 January 2012
- EN 13001-2:2011 Crane safety - General design - Part 2: Load actions, which superseded EN 13001-2:2004+A3:2009 on 18 November 2011
- EN 13241-1:2003+A1:2011 Industrial, commercial and garage doors and gates - Product standard - Part 1: Products without fire resistance or smoke control characteristics
- EN 13411-8:2011 Terminations for steel wire ropes - Safety - Part 8: Swage terminals and swaging
- EN 15895:2011 Cartridge operated hand-held tools - Safety requirements - Fixing and hard marking tools
- EN 15967:2011 Determination of maximum explosion pressure and the maximum rate of pressure rise of gases and vapours
- EN ISO 28927-10:2011 Hand-held portable power tools - Test methods for evaluation of vibration emission - Part 10: Percussive drills, hammers and breakers (ISO 28927-10:2011)
- EN 60204-33:2011 Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of machines - Part 33: Requirements for semiconductor fabrication equipment, equivalent to IEC 60204-33:2009 (Modified)
- EN 60745-2-3:2011 Hand-held motor-operated electric tools - Safety - Part 2-3: Particular requirements for grinders, polishers and disk-type sanders, equivalent to IEC 60745-2-3:2006 (Modified) + A1:2010 (Modified)
- EN 60745-2-22:2011 Hand-held motor-operated electric tools - Safety - Part 2-22: Particular requirements for cut-off machines, equivalent to IEC 60745-2-22:2011 (Modified)
- EN 61029-2-3:2011 Safety of transportable motor-operated electric tools - Part 2-3: Particular requirements for planers and thicknessers, equivalent to IEC 61029-2-3:1993 (Modified) + A1:2001
- EN 61029-2-4:2011 Safety of transportable motor-operated electric tools - Part 2-4: Particular requirements for bench grinders, equivalent to IEC 61029-2-4:1993 (Modified) + A1:2001 (Modified)
- EN 61029-2-12:2011 Safety of transportable motor-operated electric tools - Part 2-12: Particular requirements for threading machines, equivalent to IEC 61029-2-12:2010 (Modified)
Note about EN 954-1
EN 954-1 is not included in the current list but Marie Poidevin of CEN has previously confirmed to MachineBuilding.net "In case of future omission, you can take for granted that the communication done by the EC in December on EN 954-1 is still valid and will remain valid up to Dec 2011."
In the current list the only reference to EN 954-1:1996 is alongside the entry for EN ISO 13849-1:2008 Safety of machinery — Safety-related parts of control systems — Part 1: General principles for design (ISO 13849-1:2006), where the date of supersession of EN 954-1 is stated as 31 December 2011.
Previous changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards
MachineBuilding.net has analysed new lists of Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJ) and summarised the changes and additions. These changes to the Harmonised Standards can be seen by following this link:
Future changes to Machinery Directive Harmonised Standards:
To keep up to date with further developments regarding Harmonised Standards for the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, subscribe to our free email newsletter.