Invensys Operations Management has added EtherNet/IP communications to its Eurotherm Mini8 multi-loop PID Controller. The Mini8 controller is said to be an excellent partner for a PLC in multi-loop PID applications such as plastics extrusion and multi-zone furnaces. Utilising the Mini8 controller's built-in loop control, the PLC can provide faster, more effective logic control without the burden of running complex control algorithms.
Part of the company's open-communication InFusion Enterprise Control System, the Mini8 controller supports serial, fieldbus and Ethernet protocols, including EtherNet/IP, making it easy to interface to intelligent masters such as programmable logic controllers. A cost-effective alternative to designing and implementing accurate control loops in a PLC, the Mini8 controller is not only claimed to provide better performance and easier configuration, it also offers the same deterministic response and auto-tune feature as other Eurotherm panel-mount controllers from Invensys, and it can be easily integrated into the wider plant network, including other third-party systems.
Key capabilities of the the Mini8 controller are:
- Easy integrates through use of EtherNet/IP, a standard communication link between PLCs and other products from a variety of vendors.
- Reduces engineering costs by using a dedicated PID device that enables quick and easy set-up of multi-loop and complex control strategies using predefined function blocks.
- Improves control performance by removing the burden of running complex control algorithms within a PLC.
- Input accuracy is +/-0.1 per cent or better; this is said to be significantly better than analogue control in small or medium-sized PLCs.
- Suitable for use in regulated industry applications, including aerospace metal heat treatment.
- Calibrates through predefined routines.
- Impressive minimal drift characteristics help to make the device easy to use.
For more information about the Eurotherm Mini8 multi-loop PID Controller with EtherNet/IP communications , go to www.eurotherm.com/ethernet-ip.