Relec Electronics is promoting the HP series of DC DC converters manufactured by Bel Power. The range has a tried and tested track record and was originally developed by the Swiss company Melcher for the demanding requirements of their domestic railway network. These rugged DC DC converters are designed to meet national and international railway standards and are compliant with EN50121-3-2, EN50155,and IEC/EN 61000-4-2, -3, -4, -5, -6 and -8. They are safety approved to IEC/EN 60950-1 and UL/CSA 60950-1 2nd edition.
The key feature of the HP series is that it has an ultra-wide (10:1) input range of 12.5 to 154V DC, making it suitable for all traction battery voltages. Additional features of the range include power levels ranging from 120W up to 192W. Able to perform under wide operating temperature conditions, the units are enclosed in self-cooling enclosures and deliver high immunity to electrical, humidity and mechanical stress thus assuring both high operating efficiency and reliability.
Demonstrating Relec’s expertise in providing products for the railway industry, the company was recently asked by a client working for Network Rail to provide the means to power their 24V DC system from the trackside 48V DC battery backed supply using, however, an EN50121-compliant product. The project is part of an upgrade to a new SCADA (Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition) system to control traction power and distribution across the national rail network.
Drawing on their experience of power conversion for railway applications, Relec recommended the Q series from Bel Power which had the additional benefit of being approved by the Network Rail PADS (Parts and Drawing System).
Standard features for models in this range:
- Severe derating on component level
- High isolation test voltage input-output
- High efficiency, up to 98 per cent
- Wide output voltage trim ranges for ease of use
- All circuits dip-varnished for high mechanical durability and humidity withstand
- Rugged aluminium extruded cases for rack or chassis mount
- Self-cooling, no derating over the specified temperature range
- DC DC converters have nominal inputs of 12V, 24V, 36V, 52V, 72V, 96V, 110V and 220V DC
- AC DC converters have global AC input
- DC and AC converters are mechanically identical
- Complete families of products offering single, dual, triple and quad outputs
For more information about the HP series of DC DC converters or any of the products and services offered by Relec Electronics please visit www.relec.co.uk.