A white paper by Andrew Billingham, M.D. of EMKA (UK) Ltd, is a useful read for managers of small data centres as it addresses the issues involved in physical protection of valuable or sensitive data, right down to the level of a single server cabinet.
Andrew asks the question: "How secure is secure?"
According to the most recent studies, only about 20 per cent of data centres are secure, leaving an overwhelming 80 per cent at risk. It is likely that small centres are at the high end of this range. Fortunately, there is wide commonality among Data Privacy Directives, in that when boiled down to their essence, data privacy rules and regulations all seek to accomplish the same thing. Government regulations and non-government standards invariably ask four basic questions regarding access to sensitive information:
It is important to remember that "access" within the context of these questions means physical access as well as network access, and that specific requirements for controlling physical access exist in all rules and regulations concerning the protection of private or sensitive information.
The EMKA Cabinet Sentry with biometric processing at the cabinet handle is reviewed as a best practice product. The full white paper can be downloaded at www.emkablog.co.uk/cabinet-sentry.